How long does it take to renew a passport?
There are specific points to keep in mind when thinking about how long it takes to obtain a US passport. Some people must sign the application in person at a passport agency, such as a city clerk’s office or post office. It will apply to you if you are in any of the following situations:
- Apply for a US passport for the first time.
- You are under 16 years of age.
- Your old passport was issued when you were under the age of 16.
- The old key was stolen, damaged, or lost.
- The previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
- Name change.
You must present a birth certificate, a previously issued US passport in good standing, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship as evidence of US citizenship. In addition, you must present a government-issued ID as proof of identity. You must submit these two documents together with a photocopy of each of them. Some people may take a couple of weeks to prepare and gather the requested documents, so you will need to consider this.
If instead, you are looking to renew your passport, you do not need to apply in person. You can renew it by mail. It will apply to you if you are in any of the following situations:
- You are the holder of an expired passport in good condition.
- The old passport was issued to you when you were 16 or older.
- The previous passport was issued within the last 15 years.
- The old passport was issued under your current name.
US passport processing time
The US Department of State states that routine requests are processed in 4-6 weeks from when the request is made. An expedited service is provided that processes applications in approximately 2-3 weeks, requested, and the fee is paid.
- How long does it take to renew a passport?
- 30 lakes with the clearest water in the world
- Best time to visit glacier national park
- The Best time to visit Tokyo
- Best time to visit Sedona
Don’t wait to renew your passport.
If you are planning an international trip, check the expiration date of your passport now. It could take more than four months to get a new one.
The US State Department projects an 18-week wait for renewals, and some customers have said they experience even longer delays. Even those who pay an additional $60 for expedited service can wait more than 12 weeks to receive their document. The processing time for a passport begins the day the State Department receives the application, not the day it is mailed.
The problem is – of course – COVID-19.
In March 2020, when the pandemic first imposed restrictions, the State Department sent most employees home and drastically reduced processing requests. When workers began returning to the office in June 2020, they faced a backlog of applications. Now, a year later, they still haven’t caught up with the lawsuit, a State Department spokesman said. Additionally, according to the Department of State website, there are delays in mail delivery, which indicates that the 18-month processing window includes up to six weeks for mail delivery.
As more vaccinated people start planning international travel, the delay will likely increase, leading to even longer processing delays. “Submit your forms as fast as you can,” says Jeremy Scott Foster of TravelFreak.com, a travel advice website. Unfortunately, there is no alternative solution. All the lines are long”.
The passport-related delay has caused some travelers to cancel their trips. For example, Samantha Meabon, a medical assistant from western Pennsylvania, needed a new passport due to a name change. In May, the process took four months, forcing her to cancel a planned trip to Saint Lucia and Martinique in the Caribbean. “Although we planned much more in advance than normal, in the end, we had to keep putting off international travel,” he says.
Another reason to renew early: some countries will not admit travellers with passports that expire in less than six months.
How to apply for or renew a passport
Travellers can renew their passports online at travel.state.gov, but first-time applicants and those replacing a lost or stolen passport must apply in person at an acceptance center. The standard cost in all cases is $ 110, plus a $ 35 application fee.
The State Department does offer limited immediate in-person processing at its 26 regional passport agencies. This option is for life or death situations or travels within three business days (both require documentation). But travellers must make an appointment for this service, and because staffing has been reduced in some areas due to COVID-19, it can be challenging to obtain. Travellers may find that the closest agency with an available appointment is hundreds of miles away.
How long does it take to renew a passport?
In the past, travellers could pay private passport courier agencies to handle these urgent requests. But since the start of the pandemic, many companies have stopped offering the service because the State Department has drastically reduced the number of last-minute appointments available, says David Alwadish, CEO of New York-based ItsEasy Passports & Visa.
Alwadish’s company is one of many that provide these services; other popular options include RushMyPassport.com and PassportVisasExpress.com. The State Department notes that because these businesses are not government agencies, using them in addition to the fees charged by the government. Also, applicants will not receive their documents faster than if they request them in person at a passport agency office.
Regardless of which method they choose, Alwadish emphasizes carefully checking the forms before submitting them, as any errors or missing information will significantly delay the process. It also suggests that applicants pay an additional $ 30 government fee to obtain a passport card in addition to the standard booklet version.
A passport card is a document that fits in your wallet and meets the highest requirements of REAL ID identification, which the TSA will require for air travel starting in May 2023. “It is one of the best offers available. You can’t get a better ID for your wallet,” he says.
Waiting times to process a US passport decrease
During the summer, the process could take up to 18 weeks, and the wait has dropped almost in half the time.
If you want to process a US passport, now waiting times are down 60%, which means several weeks less.
The Department of State (DOS) reported that from October 29, processing a US passport will take from eight to 11 weeks, if done regularly, and from five to seven weeks if it is done in an expedited manner paying an additional $ 60.
“The State Department is committed to processing the passport application as quickly as possible,” DOS said in a statement. “Reducing the volume of pending applications, shortening the processing times, and increasing the attention in our agencies, are our priorities.”
During the summer, processing a passport could take up to 18 weeks. Passport processing times start from the moment the agency receives the application.
How long does it take to renew a passport?
DOS, in charge of passport processing, recommended that if you plan to travel, you process your passport at least four to six months in advance so that there are no problems. Appointments for rush passport processing are limited and can only be made by phone.
“We give priority to clients with life-threatening emergencies,” stated DOS. Appointments should make at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 from 8:00 am to 10 pm, Eastern time, Monday through Friday. Passport renewal can also be done by mail. People with a 10-year passport can apply through the postal service without appearing in person.
DOS warned if a person applied for an ordinary passport more than 11 weeks ago or an expedited service more than seven weeks ago. It has not received it, they may have sent a letter requesting more information, and it is necessary to respond to it to continue with the process.
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about how to process a US passport:
How do I process my US passport?
- In-Person: First-time applicants under the age of 16, and those who have lost their passport, must apply in person. They can do it in any of the offices, libraries, or offices of the Postal Service where this service is offered. Check the places closest to your home here. For the North Texas area, you can find available offices here.
- By mail: This is an option for those who must renew their passport or change any information. Also, those who already have a book passport or card wish to obtain one of the complementary documents. Those who need to replace their passport of limited validity or due to loss or theft of the passport can also process by mail. The process can start on this site.
How long does it take for my passport to arrive?
You can process it in three ways:
- The standard way (takes up to 11 weeks)
- Expedited form (takes up to 7 weeks)
- Urgent (same day)
Before the pandemic, it was possible to obtain an emergency passport easily up to three days before a trip. Still, in-person dating has been limited to life and death situations. Examples of urgent procedures are the death of a close relative, a severe accident, or some illness, and they must be verified.
The Department of State has reported minimal appointments available for urgent appointments in non-urgent cases, such as having a pleasure trip within 72 hours.
Before the pandemic, the Dallas passport centre accepted walk-ins. Now they only allow the passage to those who have a confirmed appointment made by phone and only accept the request if the trip is within the next three days. Here you can check the phone numbers and passport centres in North Texas.
How much does the passport cost?
- Standard and urgent procedure (up to 11 weeks): $ 110 book passport and $ 30 card passport
- Expedited processing (up to 7 weeks): $ 110 book passport and $ 30 card passport plus $ 60 for the acceleration of the process
An extra $ 17.56 can be paid to speed up passport shipping and decrease mail delivery time to a day or two.
Can you get a passport in an emergency?
And it is. The urgent passport processing is done in person at one of the country’s passport offices.
Due to the covid-19 pandemic, appointments to request it has become extremely scarce, and those who have life or death situations that force them to travel due to an emergency are privileged.
You can also request an urgent passport if you have a trip in 72 hours or less; But due to the shortage of appointments.
To apply for this type of passport, you must show that you have an emergency. The Department of State indicates that it must deliver death certificates or certificates from a funeral agency, documentation from hospitals, or any other that demonstrates the urgency of the trip.
On this site, you can check the requirements:
Renew a passport for adults – 16 years or older (in person at the Embassy)
Adult passport renewal – 16 years or older
Important Note: Passport applications are received by appointment only. Schedule your appointment electronically at the bottom of the page. Please read the information below before scheduling your appointment.
Applicant Adult 16 years of age or older: There are two different forms to apply for a passport. Please read the following instructions carefully to determine which form to use:
- You can use Form DS-82 if you jointly meet the following requirements:
- And you have the last issued passport in your possession, and this passport is not damaged in any way;
- You were at least 16 years old when your last passport was issued;
- The last passport issued to you was issued less than 15 years ago;
You keep the same name that appears on the last issued passport, or you can present documents to prove the name change.
If you are at least 16 years of age but do not meet all four conditions above, you are NOT eligible to use form DS-82 and must use form DS-11. You can print the form from the Department of State e-Forms website to ensure you are using the latest version. Find the form number in the search box at the top of the main page (DS-0011). The online form can be accessed using Google Chrome (not Internet Explorer) to open the link.
All applicants who must use the DS-11 form must present their application in person in the Services to American Citizens section. They cannot send another person to leave their application in place and on their behalf.
If you qualify to use Form DS-82, the documents you must submit are listed below.
What to bring on the day of your appointment:
- Form DS-82. You can print the form from the Department of State e-Forms website to ensure you are using the latest version. Find the form number in the search box at the top of the main page (DS-0082). The online form can be accessed using Google Chrome (not Internet Explorer) to open the link.
- Print the form and print clearly and legibly by hand.
- All forms must complete in black ink.
- In No. 5: Social Security number is a required field. Note: You will only be issued a limited validity passport if you have a Social Security number and do not report it on the form.
- In No. 8: The address must be a local address in Chile. It is acceptable to enter a hotel address if you are passing through.
- Please print only one veneer per sheet.
- Remember to sign the form.
- Your most recent United States passport number
- A photocopy of the biographical sheet of your passport
- Valid identification plus a photocopy
- One United States passport size photograph.
- Payment for the consular fee.
- DHL prepaid air waybill for home delivery of your passport. (If it is not possible to collect the new passport within five days)
Consular Fees –
- Passport renewal for adult using form DS-82: $ 130
- Passport card for adults using form DS-82 or DS-11: $ 30 (optional)
Consular fees can pay in cash (dollar/peso) or credit card. The credit cardholder must be present with valid identification for the card to be used.
Payments by check or debit card are not accepted (Redcompra)
Are you going to send someone else to leave your application at the Embassy and collect your new passport?
If you decide to send a representative to leave your application and look for your new passport, you, the applicant, must give your agent a simple power of attorney giving this person the authority to carry out this procedure in your place and on your behalf.
Passport renewal takes 2-3 weeks. Plan your trip with these deadlines in mind.
If you choose to obtain them, the Passport Cards take 4-6 weeks to process. If you use the DHL system described below and want the passport sent separately to the card, you must present two airway bills.
You will receive an email notifying you that the new passport is ready to be collected. An appointment is not necessary for this.
In-person pickup: Bring your passport payment receipt.
Withdrawal by a third person: the representative must bring the receipt of payment of the passport and simple power of attorney signed by the holder authorizing the withdrawal.
- Home delivery via DHL: To take advantage of this service, you must:
- Request the cancellation of your passport on the day of your appointment.
- Bring the prepaid DHL air waybill on the day of your appointment.
How to get the DHL air waybill: You can get it via email or in person.
- Email: Request your DHL air waybill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM
- In the subject, write “American citizen” and your full name.
- In the mail, include the following information:
- Origin: United States Embassy.
- Origin Address: Andres Bello 2800,
- Las Condes, Santiago
- Origin Phone 56- 2 2330-3000
PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE YOUR RUT NUMBER OR AMERICAN PASSPORT.
- Contact name: (your name and other information)
- City of destination
- Destination / Address
- phone contact
- email contact
DHL will send you a quote and instructions for making a transfer. You must respond to that email within 48 hours of sending the quote.
2.) In Person: You can also purchase a prepaid air waybill at any DHL office and present it along with your passport application on the day of your appointment. Please mention to DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a US Passport Air Waybill. The approximate cost is between 5,000 and 10,000 CLP depending on the shipping address.
Under US law, all passports must be delivered promptly or else destroyed. If a passport is to be destroyed, a new passport application must be started, including a new appointment, new forms, and new payments of all applicable fees.
What should I do if I don’t meet all the above requirements?
If you are 16 years of age or older and do not meet the four requirements mentioned above, you must use Form DS-11 to renew your passport. You must deliver this form personally to the ACS Unit. Therefore, you must schedule an appointment electronically (see bottom of page).
- Consular Fee – With Form DS-82
- Passport renewal with form DS-82: US $ 130.00.
- US Passport Card: US $ 30.00.
- Consular Fee – With Form DS-11
- Passport renewal with form DS-11: US $ 165.00
- US Passport Card: US $ 30.00.
- Consular fees can pay in cash (pesos/dollars) or credit cards. Checks and debit cards are not accepted.
Schedule your Appointment
Each family member who wishes to apply for a passport must have an individual appointment. Schedule your appointment electronically once you have all the required documentation.
Once you schedule your appointment, a confirmation page will appear on the screen, which you must bring with you on the day of the meeting to facilitate your entry to the Embassy.
The appointment confirmation will NOT send by email. You must print the confirmation when setting the appointment.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THE ENTRY OF ANY ELECTRONIC ITEM IS PROHIBITED, INCLUDING CELL PHONES AND LAPTOP COMPUTERS.
How long does it take to renew a passport?